Obstacles in spiritual life

Question: I was asked to inquire from Acharyas, sannyasis and sadhus about their thoughts regarding the third gender. I consider my "cyber-association" with GALVA (the Gay & Lesbian Vaisnava Association) vital because I can communicate with fellow aspiring devotees in my situation. As with all types of bodily distinctions, these aspiring devotees have various standards of devotional principles and services. Some are very serious and others just enjoy prasadam and to chant. We would like to know what Sadhus, Sastras and Gurus think.

Answer: Lust is the major obstacle in spiritual life and lust can only be dovetailed to Krishna-consciousness by producing nice children in a marriage. If you find strength in the association of people who know how to control their senses, you will make spiritual advancement. If you associate with others who do not abide by the regulative principles, it will not be so conducive for your spiritual advancement.

What else can I say? This is the philosophy as we learned it from our spiritual master, Srila Prabhupada. Those persons whose sexual identity has not developed according to their physical body surely face many difficulties in this material body. Personally I consider this to be a karmic reaction meant to teach us something. How many people wish to have children but due to some reason they can not reproduce. Others really want to get married and can never find a partner. I am not trying to write a law book here of karmic action and reaction, I am just trying to say that being Krishna conscious is much better than being gender conscious, or lets better say becoming absorbed into the particular sexual inclinations other people may have. I think it is better to talk about Krsna and try to conquer lust. Last but not least all we do is grow old and die. That is the real problem you have to face.

When I was a young boy I once met a homosexual men who was 28 year old. He tried to "preach" to me, how normal it was to be homosexual and that he was destined to introduce me so I could be more broad minded. Fortunately I did not think that I needed that broad mindness. Lust is a struggle for everybody who has a material body. Lets search out the association of those who have found joy in the higher taste, in a life without sex, or who are at least faithful to their children.

The real beauty of every living being is beyond the lusty sexual attraction. As you go through life, you will meet so many people with many different problems, but for your spiritual advancement focus on those who understand the value of divine love. As soon as you start talking about sexual preferences of people, you are talking about sex. This is not a very pleasant topic for those who want to understand that they are not this body.

And we are fortunate enough to say that much of this association is available on the internet.